Thank You Notes: A Dinosaur?

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of their kind comments yesterday; the encouragement really means a lot! I'll keep you posted. I'm aiming for just three times a week, since I already walk two miles everyday thanks to my commute, and I think it's a reasonable goal.

So on to another topic: gratitude. With the new year, it was time to get out our thank you notes. I get a huge sense of accomplishment of writing thank you notes; I feel that it makes the giver feel appreciated. It's also a task that doesn't take that long, so it's a cheap thrill. However, the husband hates writing thank you notes, and last night I found myself dictating "suggestions" of what he could say. It reminded me of a few months ago when my sister and I were basically helping my brother and his wife script what they could write in their thank you notes from their wedding. It also reminded me that I don't receive that many thank you notes, but I'm pretty sure that it's not for lack of gratitude. I think that everyone expresses themselves differently, so while I'm not going to give up thank you notes any time soon, I wonder if they're on their way out?

9 comments:

Little Ms. Fun said...

I love hand written cards/notes! They are so personal :) I acutally have quite a few of them. Keep writing girl, they aren't a dinosaur, they are a classic! haha

MCW said...

I need to be so much better about handwritten notes. Maybe if I had nice handwriting I would enjoy it more...

Everyday Adventures said...

I used to write thank you notes all the time! My mom instilled in my sister and I to write thank you notes for our birthday and christmas every year to our relatives. Its sad that it has become less popular so to save a few pennies online thank you notes in the form of an email are also thoughtful but nothing beats a handwritten note in the mail:)

amy b.s. said...

i agree that i don't recieve nearly as many cards and such as i remember in the past. but i still send them and likely always will. i am a huge believer in the thank you note.

LuvRedandWhite said...

I hope they aren't! I need to do a better job of writing them. I will definitely teach my children gratitude growing up :)

Elle Sees said...

yay! you're back!
as a southern girl, i was raised on writing thank you notes from the time i could write. i have personalized stationery and everything. i'd be disowned, otherwise!

Laura Trevey said...

Thank you notes are wonderful ~ and I will always continue to hand write them :)

Kendall said...

Hey Leslie!! You won the Rifle Paper Co giveaway!

I need you to email me your address so that I can send you your new goodies!!

My email address is available in my blogger profile.

Thanks!

Sundresses and Smiles said...

I think that hand written mail is so special and I try to take the time to always write thank yous and also sometimes just send little notes to friends and loved ones! In today's society though, people definitely express gratitude in many ways, and sometimes a sweet text saying "thanks" is enough!