Ideas for a Potluck?

Image via Food Network
So the husband and I are going to a work potluck for him on Monday.  As an abysmal cook, the word potluck makes me want to break out into hives. Usually, I just bring veggies, fruit or hummus and call it a day, but this time I really want to try to cook something.  I've already decided that I'll be bringing Oreo cupcakes, because it's a recipe that easy and pretty tasty.  Plus, I've done it before and they've been a success. However, I think just bringing a dessert to a potluck isn't the best idea (because sometimes you end up with just desserts).  Also, as a vegetarian, I want to bring something I can eat, so I'm trying to come up with something easy that I can make the night before and tastes best served cold.  Here are my options. 
1. Deviled Eggs- They are super easy, but I guess everyone makes them and brings them.  I'd like to point out that it took me awhile to even think of bringing these...
2. Black Bean Salad from the Food Network- This looks pretty easy, but I've never made it before, so I'm a little leery.
3. Broccoli Salad also from the Food Network- This isn't terribly original either, but it looks easy. I'd take out the bacon and maybe add sunflower seeds and hope for the best.

So, dear readers, any suggestions or input?  I'd really love advice.

8 comments:

MCW said...

I made a corn and bean dip that you serve with Scoops...it is SOOO good and always a HUGE hit. Literally people love it. Let me know if you want the recipe...

Jax said...

How about an eggplant parm??? Or a vegetable cous cous??? I'd stay away from the eggs...they stink and that could be awkward! :) Let us know how it goes!

Ann said...

I think baked vegetables,
like the ones I've seen being done by the Barefoot Contessa... she just puts some olive oil on veggies like squash, asparagus,etc and then put them in the oven. It looks really delish after.

Meagan said...

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those options. People expect deviled eggs and group events! Haha. Good luck!

Dee {Strings and Buttons} said...

Black bean salad sounds like a great, easy recipe for a potluck. Maybe something with quinoa as well? These 3 sound like solid options. Enjoy it! x

Jess said...

dips are always great and usually pretty low maintenance!

Elle Sees said...

I take a black bean salsa. It's easy and everyone likes it.

Worthington said...

A black bean or corn salsa would be great for summer! I think those would be good options.