On Cooking

With the advent of the  new year, I've decided that I'm going to focus more on cooking a few homemade meals when the husband will be home for dinner and exercising when he's working late. I have to admit that my new year's resolution is off to a slower start than I would like. Last night he had glazed salmon and mashed potatoes, but the rest of this week looks like I will have the opportunity to hit our apartment gym. 
For Christmas, I received Ina Garten's Foolproof and her At Home cookbooks (lucky me!).  As I was reading her At Home cookbook, I was struck by the idea that cooking is one way of making her home feel like home. I think this sentiment actually gets to the heart of my new year's resolution this year. Even though it's hard to do after a long day at work, it really does make our little apartment feel cozier and nurturing. As I've mentioned before, the husband is a pretty picky eater and I just went from being a vegetarian to start to eat fish, so finding recipes we both like is definitely going to be trial and error.  So far I've made Ina Garten's shrimp and fennel and risotto and shrimp.  I cheated and used a risotto mix, but the husband was a fan, so I think I've  found another easy weeknight meal (which is the point of this whole thing).  What are your go-to meals?

3 comments:

Worthington said...

I love Ina. She is so cute. My Grandmama loves her shows so we often talk about her episodes when I am home visiting. M is convinced she is a closet stoner but I am still not too sure. haha

Go-to recipes - one we had last night (for the Bama game and will probably last the rest of this week) is this chili recipe: http://www.worthystyle.com/2011/11/fall-food-amazing-chili.html . Delish!

agalandherdog said...

I love her recipes! We eat a lot of casseroles and crockpot meals when I'm cooking because they are easy to throw together and reheat.

Oh Sunnie Day said...

I like mixing soy sauce and hoisin sauce on salmon and then balsamic/olive oil/lemon zest on asparagus. yummy!

xx

jen