A Care Package

One of my best friends called me last Thursday night to tell me that her mom had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  She said that she hadn't wanted to tell me and ruin my birthday and  vacation. She was worried that it would bring up old emotions from my mom, since she is a breast cancer survivor. She explained her mom's situation, and I felt optimistic.  They were going to operate on Monday, do radiation, and it seemed like a long road ahead of her, but something that was under control.   And then she emailed me on Friday night saying that they had found another cancerous mass and that the surgery was being postponed. 

We sent flowers to my friend, bought cards for her and her mother, and sent a care package.  I'm going down to visit her this weekend, to a Mary Kay party that she is having in honor of her mom.  On last Saturday, when I was trying to figure out how to help, the husband asked if my friend even cared about any of the stuff I was sending her.  Probably not.  The truth is nothing really matters except for the fact that her mom is sick, but I have to do something.  I'm pretty sure that is why my friend is hosting a party this weekend.  There is no magic lotion that will make her mom truly feel like herself again once the treatment has started.  I suspect that my friend already knows that, but sometimes you just have to do something.

3 comments:

MCW said...

Prayers for your friends mom and your package put smiles on faces which helps immensely...

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

It's a lovely care package and it will do just that - make your friend feel cared for in a difficult time.

Worthington said...

I think it is incredibly thoughtful that you are doing anything you can for your friend. Unless you have been there, you cannot sympathize as well even if the feeling are genuine. Good for you for going down and being "present" for her!