Whats Cooking Wednesday: Mongolian Beef

Via
 During the first year that the husband and I were married, I tried to make a few Thai dishes which always ended in disaster.  It was very frustrating for me, as not only were the meals inedible, but it was a waste of ingredients and money when we were on a tighter budget.  After a few failures, I stopped trying to make Thai food, and focused on simpler things.  However, I feel that I've gotten a little bit better (or at least braver) at cooking, so when I saw this recipe for Mongolian beef I felt inspired.  Scarred by my past failures, I wanted to make something that had reviews from other cooks, so I found this recipe at All Recipes and gave it a try.

I ended up making this on a weeknight and it took me about an hour to make from start to finish (I'm a little slower than most because I am still learning).  You end up dirtying three pans (one for the meat, one for the sauce and one for the rice), so that also slows down clean up.  With that said, I think it's worth it.  The husband was pretty enthusiastic about the dish and even ended up taking the leftovers for lunch.  While it's not a meal I'd make too frequently, I think it's good to make once every month or two.  I was just relieved that I could make something that was Asian inspired after all my failures! 

3 comments:

agalandherdog said...

Yum, I'll have to try this!

April of A. Liz Adventures said...

Go YOU! It looks fantastic ... I'd love to try to recreate this!

Elle Sees said...

one of my faveeee meals!