What's Cooking Wednesday: Cheesy Butternut Squash Cavatappi Bake

Via
This is my new favorite fall dish this season.  It's easy to make and not too expensive, since it's pasta.  It's also my first time cooking with butternut squash, and it won't be my last!

A funny story about this recipe. Yesterday after work I decided to pick up the ingredients to make this for a potluck, and I couldn't remember an ingredient.  I called my sister and asked her to look on my blog (I don't have a smart phone), and she couldn't find it.  After I got home, I realized that I had started a post about this recipe but never finished it! So here's the recipe so at least I can remember all of the ingredients!

Ingredients:
  • 3  cups  peeled and cubed butternut squash
  • 8  ounces  dried cavatappi or other elbow macaroni
  • 1  tablespoon  butter
  • 8  ounces  cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
  • 3  green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2  tablespoons  all-purpose flour
  • 1  cup  fat-free milk
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground black pepper
  • 6  ounces  fontina cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2  slices  reduced-sodium bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional) (I used veggie bacon and it really adds a lot of flavor; I definitely recommend adding something!)
  •  Thinly sliced green onions (optional)
     
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
    2. In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine squash and 2 Tbsp. water; cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 minutes; stir. Microwave, covered, about 4 minutes more or until squash is tender. Carefully remove plastic wrap. Mash squash; set aside.
    3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a medium saucepan heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add milk, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in squash. Add pasta. Gently fold to combine.
    4. Transfer half of the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Add remaining pasta and cheese. Top with bacon, if desired. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Top with additional green onions, If desired.
      *Recipe taken from BHG. I'm a huge fan of their magazine for home decorating ideas, but there recipes are great too!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

OMG. That looks so so good!

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

Looks delish! I hope you have a wonderful holiday and the best to you in the New Year! see you at Trader Joes's ! (I wish!)I'll be getting a lot of gifts there, too.xo Nancy