Reflections from our first week with Sarah Catherine!

While our first week with Sarah Catherine was exhilarating, it was also difficult, as we adjusted to life as a family of three (hello sleep deprivation!). We are definitely still figuring everything out, but making progress each day and becoming more comfortable as parents with each passing hour.  One thing that has maybe complicated things more than usual is that when she was born, we found we found out that she has a cleft palate.  It's definitely manageable, but during her first week we went to a few more doctor appointments.  As new parents (and still recovering from everything) it was pretty exhausting emotionally and physically.  However everyone is really encouraging, and at this point, the most important thing is to make sure that she is getting enough to eat. We now have a routine where I pump every 2-3 hours to keep up my milk supply and then we feed her using a special bottle that they gave us at the hospital.  Fortunately, that system seems to be working well, and I'm thankful that we live near DC, as it seems like she will get good care when she does need surgery (sometime around 8-9 months).  So much happened in our first week with her, and it is hard to put everything into words, but here are a few memories.

When she was first born, she immediately started crying.  After the doctor and nurses were finished with her, I got to hold her, and she was so perfect.  It was amazing to think that I am her mother. Then the husband held her, and she immediately settled down.  They both seemed so natural together and it felt like she knew immediately he was her dad.
Sarah Catherine met my parents, brother and sister-in-law while she was still only a day old.  The love that they have for her is really overwhelming.
On Friday night my sister flew in, and she met her little niece.
We also just enjoyed time together as the three of us.  On Friday night at 4:00am, we were all awake, so we decided to take a few photos.  It seems silly, but we felt like such a family at that moment.
 On Saturday, she watched her first VA Tech football game with her dad. I know that he is looking forward to watching many more games with her!
 
In the past week and a half, I've been amazed at what our bodies can do and by the type of father my husband has become.  Even though we have no clue what we are doing at times, it is such a blessing to navigate this new world of parenthood with the husband and know that we are in this together.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Aww I'm so glad all is going well! Don't worry too much about the cleft palate. A coworker of mine has a son that was born with it and he's perfectly fine now after the surgery! Also I feel like every baby has SOMETHING to deal with and think of how much worse it could be. Sending you happy thoughts!!! Xo

MCW said...

I didn't even realize she has a cleft palate! Im sure that little one is getting plenty of food, you and your hubby and amazing parents. Good luck in week two and thanks for the update!

Just Jess said...

I love those 4am photos. I am glad that you have such wonderful care in the area and so many supportive family members.

P!nky said...

She is beautiful, lady! Congrats! Sending you extra sleep right now :)!

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

This post brought tears to my eyes, happy tears! Just thinking back on how amazing those first weeks are. Life will never be the same and that is a good thing!! Am so glad the pumping and feeding is working out well. I exclusively pumped with my first and pumped once I went back to work with my second. If you don't have a double electric breast pump, I highly highly recommend one. The one I have is Medela. It's so so worth it. Hoping you get some extra shut eye soon! Congrats again! God is good! :))

Candace Shiflet said...

Sarah is BEAUTIFUL!!! You make em cute, mama :) I'm sure it is quite the adjustment sleep depriving but she is SO so perfect and darling!! Congrats to you guys and your new little cutie pie!! Are you dressing her up for halloween?!
xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

WorthyStyle said...

What a sweet little trooper! I didn't even notice the cleft palate - I'm sure it's still incredibly stressful but good of you all to be so adaptable to whatever comes your way. Having an amazing support system obviously helps, too :)