Five for Friday: Ideas for Celebrating and Supporting A Friend's Pregnancy!

This has been quite a week!  The husband had a business trip for a few days, so SC and I decided to go visit my parents and it was a nice change of pace.  I also found out that one of my good friends is expecting, which is definitely exciting news!  Her announcement got me thinking of some ways to support friends during pregnancy.  While they are not original ideas, when my first really good friend announced that she was pregnant a few years ago, I didn't have a clue how to support her.  It was just a year ago last year that we found out we were expecting, so I thought I'd write down a few ideas that I've come up with along the way!
1. Baby books- One of my friend's gave me Guess How Much I Love You, and it was such a perfect gift.  I realized then that books are great because they are gender neutral, and there is nothing sweeter than thinking about reading to your baby in a few months. Another friend gave me a Dr. Seuss book that was written to read to your baby in the womb, which is so cute.  TJ Maxx and Home Goods often have baby books on sale, so if you have time, they are worth a trip.Amazon is also a good resource, but I will admit that the last two times I bought baby books I ended up paying full price at Target...sometimes you just need convenience.
Via
2. Willow Angel- This is definitely a matter of taste.  I think some people probably don't like these, but I find something so moving about the figurines.  This is what I ended up buying my friend a few years ago, and I think she really appreciated it. 
Via
3. Pregnancy care basket/celebration basket- I ended up making one of these for my friend who just announced that she was expecting and included flowers, stretch cream lotion, a baby book, sparkling cider, and a baby hat.  I also think that ginger chews are good to include and any particular foods to she has mentioned craving could be a fun addition.
Here is a very un-posed picture of the basket, but you get the idea.
4. Books about pregnancy- Can you tell I'm really big on books?  My sister bought me a few books when I announced I was expecting and they were very helpful.  I just passed my gently used books onto my friend, and I was shocked that I somehow had acquired ten different ones! Hands down, Great with Child was my favorite book of the bunch. Dude, You're Going to Be A Dad, is also a good option for the dad-to-be, although I don't think my husband was overly impressed with that book.
Here are just a few of them from my "collection"!
5. Pregnancy journal- One of my friend's received this as a gift, and I think it's a good idea.  It seems like a quick and fun way to track your pregnancy. She had The Belly Book, but Expecting You: A Keepsake Pregnancy Journal, seems especially pretty.
Via
Of course, a little gift at the beginning is above and beyond what is expected (pardon the pun), considering there is also a baby shower, but I think that just a little token gift at the beginning is such a nice gesture and makes the mom-to-be feel particularly special!  Nine months of carrying the baby can feel like a long time! What are your favorite gifts to give a mom-to-be?

2 comments:

saw said...

I LOVE the little care basket you made! So thoughtful! :)

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I love the pregnancy care basket ideas! When one of my best friends was pregnant, she had a friend that made one of those and even made a mini basket for the daddy to be with fun "man stuff."