An Apartment for Three

While I plan on doing a few posts for our new house inspiration, I have to admit that the whole idea of having an entire house feels a bit surreal (still crossing our fingers everything goes okay) and overwhelming.  With that said, I wanted to take a minute to do a post on our apartment.  I know it isn't perfect, but it will be fun for me to look back on these pictures and think about how things have changed. 
Even though with SC being more mobile it is clear that we are outgrowing the space, our little apartment will always be such a sweet home to me.  It is where the husband and I spent five really happy years and where we brought SC home. It seems that during my pregnancy the husband and I both took turns trying to convince each other that staying in our one bedroom apartment with a baby would be okay.  There was one point when I was eight months pregnant that I think we both thought we were in over our head, but we didn't move (obviously) and along came SC!
I'm still very thankful that we didn't leave our apartment.  It is our home, and was truly the right place for SC to spend the first 10 and a half months of her life.  Besides the sentimental reasons of loving our little box in the sky, I'm shocked that the space has proven really functional for us. 
Originally we planned on having the crib in the main living room, but when we transitioned her to the crib in January it just seemed so far away.  Now that she is a little older, I would be okay with her sleeping in another room, but I know it will be a bit bittersweet for me!  Plus we will actually have to buy a baby monitor.
Since we are in a relatively small space, we tried to keep the toys to a minimum, but she still has the typical stuff i.e. playgym, bouncer, swing.  All of that is spread throughout the living room and then transitioned out as she outgrew things (yay for borrowing from friends and passing things on).  While it seems like a lot, it isn't too overwhelming.  We moved the glider out of our bedroom when we moved the crib in and created a little reading nook, which has actually proved really functional.  As a side note, I am so glad that we bought a glider.  For the first few weeks I was convinced that we had wasted our money, but we spend lots of time in it reading to SC and feeding her.  It is such a comfy spot, and I can't wait to put it in SC's new room.
 I am surprised at how well our little changing nook has worked.  The baskets that we have labeled keep us organized, but aren't too fussy, so we can actually keep up with it.  The changing station is also working out well, and I love having the diapers handy in the first dresser drawer. Now that SC is pulling on everything we've had to take the mirror down, but I'm hoping to figure out a way to include a mirror in her new bedroom.
I realize that lots of people do this all the time, but my suburban mindset has been really impressed by how the space has allowed us to comfortably live as a family of three. And with that said, I have high hopes that everything we purchased for SC will fit nicely together in a nursery!

3 comments:

Annie said...

You made it all work so well! Love her little reading nook too!

StephTheBookworm said...

You did a lot with the space! I love it! Your room looks spacious enough to really fit the crib well. I have a house and I know our bedroom isn't large enough for a crib!

Elle Sees said...

This looks so sweet and organized!! Loved seeing it. happy Labor Day Weekend!!