My Uncle Keith

Via
One thing I didn't mention in my Christmas recap is that my uncle passed away on Christmas Eve.  He had been sick for several months and, to be honest, did suffer at some points during the end.  We are thankful that he is no longer in pain, but it is still sad. It is especially hard on my mom because he was the last of her three brothers.  My mom's side of the family lived out west, so in a way it all feels very surreal.  Growing up we would go visit every summer, and now there are very few people left from all of those happy memories. 

My Uncle Keith was never one to complain and always put his family first.  Every day after work he would come visit my grandparents.  I remember those afternoons, when my grandpa would sit in his rocking chair in the breezeway, my grandma would fuss over his arrival and bring out some cookies, and my brother, sister and I would be buzzing around-riding bikes around the block, racing up and down the stairs, and finally collapsing on the glider porch swing.  The conversations were never really about much at all, but the important thing is that we were together.  The last time I saw him was when he, my aunt, my cousin and his wife made the cross-country drive to my wedding.  My aunt had previously suffered a stroke and truly the journey defied the odds, but my aunt and uncle were there to help us celebrate one of the most significant days of our lives. My Uncle Keith always made the effort, even when it wasn't easy. He knew that time is how you spend your love.

Children of the heavenly Father
safely in His bosom gather;
nestling bird nor star in heaven
such a refuge e’er was given.

Neither life nor death shall ever
from the Lord His children sever;
unto them His grace He showeth,
and their sorrows all He knoweth.

Though He giveth or He taketh,
God His children ne'er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
to preserve them pure and holy.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Sending you hugs and prayers. Uncle Keith sounds like a wonderful man! Hold on to the precious memories!

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

So sorry to hear that. Prayer for you and your family!

Elle Sees said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.