This is Just to Say

Do you ever get phrases stuck in your mind? I don't read poetry on a regular basis, but some poems just stick with me. For some reason, I sometimes think of this poem by William Carlos Williams on occasion.

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

If I were to make a "This is just to say" poem today, it would be to say that I think you are lovely.

4 comments:

Elle Sees said...

I knew it by the title! And the red wheelbarrow. I might have an English degree or two, and this stuck with me!

Alexa said...

Oh I love it! Hadn't heard it before! :)

how i met your father blog said...

love the images this poem calls to mind!

if you have a minute stop by and enter my giveaway!
http://howimetyourfatherblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-wish-they-all-could-be.html

Jax said...

I love that! I bookmarked this. :)